Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Thou Shalt Not Covet

This is going to be an interesting post.  I read in one of my "creative and expressive writing" courses in college that blog writing is all about opening up and expressing the "Naked You."  Do you agree fellow bloggers?  Well, here's my shot at it. 

Many of you know that I teach in Young Women.  I teach the Beehives...I think they're the best because they're still so sweet and innocent.  If you tell a Beehive you love her, you get a little plate of homemade burned brownies on your porch.  I love it!  But....because they're so innocent, we often get some pretty strange answers and questions.  My all-time favorite is "what is the law of chastity?"  "Oh, I know!  Don't wear tatoos!"  Well....don't do that either but I wouldn't say that's right. 

We had another "moment" this week.  We learned about Avoiding Dishonesty.  In the lesson book it said "how can coveting lead to dishonesty?"  Judging by the blank looks on their faces, I realized they didn't know what coveting was.  Lucky for me, we had a member of the bishop brick who efficiently dispatched of that one. 

What I wasn't prepared for was the beehive who came up to me after the lesson and said "sister Young, do you ever covet?"  I was taken back.  I wanted to sit down and say "oh no honey.  Sister Young is perfect.  I never have problems like that...someday you can be like me."  But...I said....yes.  I said that I have to watch myself carefully and we talked about some ways we could help ourselves. 

It was thought provoking.  I've been thinking this week that I probably covet more than I thought I did, and definately more than I should.  Here are some of the things I covet.  Help me for I covet!  Does anyone else have a problem with this?  Please tell me it's not just me and my little beehive!

I covet babies
I covet crafty ladies

I covet skinny girls who can eat cupcakes whenever they want (well...not them just being able to eat cupcakes whenever without consequences)


I covet my friend's silhouette...one day....
I covet storybook homes


I covet perfectly clean, organzed rooms

While they're good things, I come to the conclusion that my and my little beehive need to work on being happy where we are and with what we have.  There's no shame in setting our sights higher, but this week, I'm looking at my blessings and loving what I already have.  I am truly blessed, especially to have family and friends like you!


(don't judge me for this post...)

5 comments:

  1. Forget my perfect spelling and grammar. I shouldn've never mentioned I was an editor. As I re-read my post, I shudder. So many mistakes. It's all part of the "naked me," Please ignore them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found a quote today, that I am in love with. Reading your post made me think about it even more. "We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." ~Joseph Campbell. Don't you just love that quote?!!! I think that is one of the main purposes of this life ~ To be happy and content where ever we are in life. I'm sure you have read the book The Hiding Place. Corrie ten Boom said, “Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength.” I hear you on the coveting stuff, but you are an incredible, and beautiful lady to all those that know you, and especially to your Father in Heaven. If it makes you feel better I covet you on your mad cooking and baking skills. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shauna...I love that quote! It's beautiful. I would love to make a hanging in my house with that on it. When I get my silhouette...no wait. We can make one and frame it. Thanks for those beautiful thoughts and for reading my blog. You are a true friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessika, you know you can come use my silhouette ANYTIME you want to, but I know it's not the same.
    I <3 you

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.u-createcrafts.com/

    look at the post a couple down from the top. Enter the giveaway that ends in a couple days!

    ReplyDelete